Sunday, January 1, 2012

My 3 Words - 2012 Edition

Last year, I read a blog post by Chris Brogan about selecting three words with which to theme the year. Instead of a list of resolutions that will surely be broken by January 15, finding three words or themes for the year provide a fluidity to life with a some basis for grounded decision making.

I selected three words for the first time in 2011 - connect, share, ship. These words impacted my behavior and resulted in some fascinating experiences that I may take the time to blog about some day. But today is a day to look forward. To 2012. So, after much thought (okay, not really much thought because I'm more of an intuitive decision maker) I have selected my three words for 2012:

Breathe - I will breathe. In and out. In and out. Deeply. Thoughtfully. Meditating. Focusing. And when things get tense, as I'm sure they will, I will breathe. And I will not be the loudest contributor to the stress because I will stop to breathe. In and out. In and out. 

Flow - I will go with it. I will pick my battles and gain momentum in the things that are really important and not lose energy to the things that aren't. I will make a lasting, positive, beautiful impression in the places that I've been and people that I've encountered. Not a raging river cutting an aggressive path through the wilderness, but a strong, powerful, constant, positive force making it's own gentle path.

Move - Physically, emotionally and mentally. I will progress, not to the point where others think I should be, but to where I am called. I will take action and move from my "idea brain" to my "action brain" without fear of failure. I will find in each move what kind of person I am and what kind of potential I have.

For those of you who DON'T know me may read my three words and be unimpressed. How hard can it be, really, to breath and go with the flow and move. For those of you who DO know me, you understand just how high I've set my sights. And I appreciate in advance, your help in keeping me honest to my three words and supporting me as I live them.

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, Amy. I think I'll follow your lead and select three words for me year as well.

    renae nanney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renae! Love to hear your three words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, those fit you perfectly. I wish you the best with your words in 2012. My three would be teach (my children), learn (I will never know enough) and laugh.

    ReplyDelete