Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ski = Breathe + Smile

Dream Book Entry: 07.24.10 Downhill Ski
I started a dream book a few years back to capture my ideas about how to suck the marrow out of life. I had read the Dream Manager and used its' dream categories as a catalyst. Interestingly, the Adventure dream category has the most items. On July 24, 2010 I added downhill skiing to my adventure list and on January 15, 2012 my husband and I hit the slopes of Vail for the first time.

Ski School Graduates
When I envisioned skiing on a real mountain, I underestimated just exactly how tall and steep real mountains are. I had been to Colorado in my youth, but obviously my childhood memories hadn't contemplated flying down those hills with carbon fiber slats on my feet. And to amplify my surprise, it was pointed out that I was only seeing the bottom third of the mountain. Huh.

Fortunately, our ski-savvy friends suggested I apply to ski school and acquaint myself with the mountain under the tutelage of an experienced instructor. So I spent my first three days in ski school learning how to traverse the slopes with the grace and ease of a frozen, overweight giraffe. The details of ski school warrant their own blog, but suffice it to say that I graduated with the basics: proper form (shoulders facing downhill, body leaning forward over skis), speed control (wide turning radius=slower speed) and stopping (if all else fails, snowplow).

Sometimes the Basics Are More Basic
It was the last day of ski school when we had begun to tackle larger sections of the mountain and upgraded to some blue slopes that I realized the best form was no substitute for the simplicity of breathing. At the end of each perpendicular cut across the slope, I was faced with the reality of having to turn - body and skis facing full out down the hill - in order to continue to the bottom of the run. It was in those moments, that a deep breath was the perfect form. As I learned, breathing relaxes the muscles, shifts focus and engenders a feeling of confidence (albeit short lived). As I ventured out to ski alone later in the week, I was able to find a beautiful, balanced skiing rhythm - breathe, turn, breathe, turn - and I felt powerful and free.

It was during my second solo run that I thought, "This is fun! I should smile!" Not because anyone could see me smile under 17 layers of fleece and gortex, but because it changed my attitude from grunting determination not to fall (again) to grateful appreciation - of the beauty of God's creation, the opportunity to check something off my dream list and the surprise of finding yet another activity my husband and I can enjoy. Oh, and did I mention, it's stinking FUN!

Skiing Is Still On My List
My skiing adventure is not over. While it might be checked off my dream list as a point-in-time activity, the experience taught me a bit about myself and about life. I get a little scared sometimes, but not paralyzed from action. I'm patient to a point, but won't let my forward progress be stalled by others. I recognize I have limits, but don't shy away from the challenge to push past them. So, I've checked "Downhill ski" from my dream list, but added it to my list of lifelong interests and plan to ski again some day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment