Friday, January 10, 2014

Starbucks Moment #164

If you're wondering where the first 163 Starbucks moments are recorded, you'll have to invite me to coffee. Actually, I haven't written them all down, but as I've been a gold club member since 2008 I figure I've had at least that many moments and probably more like 1633.

I was happily working at my seventeenth office (the Starbucks on Monument Circle). And as is bound to happen, a man in Colt's gear sat at the bar beside me. Well, it IS play-off weekend.

As I packed up my stuff to go, he asked if I was a writer.

A funny question, I thought.

I said, "No, why do you ask?"

Thinking he would comment on my typing speed or the book sitting next to me. His response surprised me.

He said, "Oh, I don't know. You just seem kind of, well, content. Happy."

I was taken aback. "Really?" I must have looked very perplexed, so he reframed his comment by saying, "Just the way you were working, your movements and thoughtfulness. You seem content." I smiled,  thanked him for the kind words and said that I was quite happy.

As I walked out of the Starbucks I had two distinct responses.

First, a big thank you to God for putting that man in my path today. I've spent the better part of a couple of months wondering if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, professionally speaking. Am I equipped? Was all the soul searching over the past few years a lie? And my personal favorite...what are people going to think if I decide I'm not really doing what I'm supposed to be doing? In my heart I know I'm where I'm supposed to be. But north of there, I have had constant doubts swirling. The words that man spoke wholly confirmed for my head what my heart seems to already know.

Second, a sense of tingling curiosity. Why was I giving off an aura of contentment and energy? As I unpacked that on my drive home, I came up with this:

  • Contribution - I spent the previous evening adding analytics code to a client's website and watching the results come in. I am excited to be helping one of my current clients achieve their goals.
  • Education - I had just come from a 3-hour kick off meeting with a new client. I got a chance to learn about their company, their products, their team and their vision for the future. I was totally jazzed to be included and trusted.
  • Collaboration - I was on my way to meet a creative team with whom I'm going to be working. The anticipation of experiencing a new environment, building relationships and creating something together made me giddy.
I have a lot more unpacking to do as the baggage I have clearly isn't carry-on size. But, thanks Mr. Starbucks! My investment is really seeing returns!


No comments:

Post a Comment