Friday, January 3, 2014

My 3 Words - 2014 Edition

This is my fourth year in the "3 Words" world. Chris Brogan talks a lot about selecting three words with which to theme the year. Instead of a list of resolutions that will surely be broken by January 15, finding three words or themes for the year provide a fluidity to life with a some basis for grounded decision making.

I selected three words for the first time in 2011 - connect, share, ship. 
In 2012, my words were breathe, flow, move

I struggled with my three words in 2013, but in the end courage, improv and decisive led to some amazing, life changing things. To sum up 2013, I mustered up the courage to leave my job to start my own company - a decision my husband will tell you I've wrestled with for years. And one of the highlights of my personal growth was a series of improv classes. Man, is it hard to say, "yes and," to be exactly in the moment, listen well and respond to the action directly in front of you. Good lessons for life, not just for improv class.

Fractal with recursive drawing. www.matthewjamestaylor.com


Because I so warmly embraced my husband's addition of decisive to my word list for 2013 (read with a hint of sarcasm), I thought for 2014 I would reach out to my Facebook community and see what words they might offer me. I got some great suggestions and after much thought, here are my words for 2014:

Create : I have a studio full of art supplies and at times an endless supply of ideas. But I also have an irrational fear of starting new projects especially if they don't come to me as assignments. So, this year is the year I will create just to create - and I won't judge myself on the time spent, the nobility of purpose or the outcome.

Temple - In 1 Corinthians 6, Paul asks: 

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body."

If I really believed that my physical body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, would I make different choices about what I put into it and how I use it? And so, this year I will learn more about this "body as a temple" directive and see where it leads me.

Edit - At first, it seemed a bit counterintuitive for both 'create' and 'edit' to have a place on the list. But I am feeling deeply called to both. Sometimes I can't create because I haven't edited the unnecessary, the clutter, the extraneous thoughts that stop the creative process. I'm excited to see where this paradox takes me in 2014. After all, the Master prunes back even the branches that bear fruit so that they may bear even more fruit.

Here's to a fruitful 2014! Love to hear what your words are for the year!

1 comment:

  1. Not counterintuitive at all -- as long as you don't let editing get in the way of your creating. Promise?

    And you rock.

    My three words: Open, Waken, Love.

    ReplyDelete